Windows Server® 2008 Administration
Course 961 | 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Maintain, troubleshoot and secure Windows Server 2008
- Implement key security components to protect your server
- Leverage built-in components for a highly available infrastructure
- Optimize and tune system performance for greater responsiveness
- Troubleshoot system issues with tools and techniques
- Recover from system failures
Hands-On Experience Includes:
- Administering with Server Manager, WSRM and PowerShell
- Creating group policies to configure remote administration for security and functionality
- Reducing the attack surface with Server Core
- Solving boot configuration problems
- Creating a fault-tolerant environment with clusters, DFS and Hyper-V
About This Course: Windows Server 2008 provides administrators with powerful and flexible tools to overcome administrative challenges to their infrastructure. In this course, you will gain the practical experience to administer, troubleshoot and secure a Windows Server 2008 environment. Additionally, this course will help you prepare for certain Microsoft professional certifications.
FREE AFTER-COURSE INSTRUCTOR COACHING — Learn more »
Course 961 Content
Windows Server 2008 Administration
- Developing an effective administrative strategy
- Tools, techniques and best practices
Building Blocks of Server Management
Implementing role-based server administration
- Analyzing available server roles
- Remotely configuring features to maximize functionality
Leveraging fundamental tools and components
- Controlling resources with Server Manager
- Performing common administrative tasks with PowerShell
Securing Windows Server 2008
Hardening your server
- Reducing the attack surface
- Baselining your server with Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
Implementing Group Policies for security
- Generating custom templates with Security Configuration Wizard (SCW)
- Building security templates with the Security Configuration and Analysis tool
- Integrating local and AD policies
Tracking internal access
- Achieving your security goals with selective auditing
- Centralizing the audit management process
Reducing vulnerabilities with Server Core
- Managing Server Core from the command line
- Minimizing exploitable components
Patch Management Implementation
Developing a strategy for patch management
- Taking inventory and documenting the existing environment
- Deploying service packs and hotfixes
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Managing the WSUS catalog and configuring components
- Authorizing and distributing patches to clients
Maintaining a High-Availability Environment
Building fault-tolerant servers
- Maximizing resource utilization with Hyper-V
- Enabling failover clustering to ensure business continuity
Replicating with the Distributed File System (DFS)
- Transferring data with DFS Replication (DFSR) service
- Optimizing and troubleshooting replication
Virtualizing servers to extend uptime
- Selecting the appropriate virtualization model
- Best practices for architecting your virtual environment
Disaster recovery methods and tools
- Repairing the server with imaging technologies
- Full server backup with scripts and scheduled tasks
Maximizing Performance and Increasing Responsiveness
Diagnosing system performance problems
- Leveraging Reliability and Performance Monitor
- Identifying the essential system counters
- Optimizing servers with Windows System Resource Manager (WSRM)
Tracing performance problems
- Isolating the causes of performance problems
- Locating and solving bottlenecks
Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008
Resolving issues with diagnostic tools
- Shutdown Event Tracker
Repairing the Registry
- Rooting out problems
- Backing up and restoring
Coping with driver failures
- Revealing and uninstalling phantom devices
- Demystifying and recovering from common failures
Solving boot configuration problems
- Identifying critical boot components
- Fixing partition tables and the boot configuration data store
Who Should AttendThose developing an administrative strategy within a Windows Server 2008 environment who have experience with Windows Server and the Active Directory at the level of Course 960, "Windows Server 2008 Introduction."
- Windows Server Group Policy Management - Course 963
- Windows PowerShell: Automating Administrative Tasks - Course 969
- Planning, Deploying and Managing Exchange Server 2013 - Course 2502
- SharePoint 2013 Technologies Introduction - Course 1531
- Administering SharePoint 2013 Server Farms - Course 1532
- Deploying and Managing Windows - Course 2401
Standard Course Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each Course Day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Our Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms — Exclusively with Learning Tree
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition is NOT due until AFTER you've enjoyed your course
- There are NO FEES for canceling or rescheduling your course at ANY time
- Your Satisfaction is 100% GUARANTEED
Tuition is the same for In-Class, AnyWare™ or LiveLinked Course Participation
Commercial 2-Day 3-Day 4-Day 5-Day New Attendee $1,950 $2,650 $2,990 $3,190 Returning Attendee* $1,755 $2,385 $2,691 $2,871 Government 2-Day 3-Day 4-Day 5-Day New Attendee $1,485 $2,213 $2,499 $2,620 Returning Attendee* $1,339 $1,992 $2,249 $2,358
Course Tuition Includes:
Comprehensive Course Materials & Exams
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic. All certification exams are free.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programs to Enhance Your Credentials
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- College Credit Semester Hours and Continuing Education Units, displayed on your certificate
FREE Attendee Benefits Before, During & After Your Course
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE COMPUTING SANDBOX™
After your course, you will be provided with remote access to practice and extend your course's hands-on exercises on a virtual Learning Tree computer.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Savings:
Government GSA Schedule Pricing applies to all Federal, and most State and Local Government Entities, plus Federal Government Contractors working on qualified contracts. Learn more »
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 1-888-THE-TREE (843-8733) for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies for 2 semester hours of college credit as certified by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Read More... This course qualifies for 23 CPE credits from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPE program. Read More... This course is approved by CompTIA for continuing education units (CEUs). For additional information and to confirm which courses are eligible towards your CompTIA certification, click here.
What is this course about?
This course is a comprehensive server administration class for individuals managing Windows Server 2008 environments. Attendees learn the key techniques available to them in the operating system as well as best practices for server management. The focus is on managing, optimizing, troubleshooting and securing the operating system, regardless of the server's role in the enterprise.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course is valuable for anyone who is responsible for managing a Windows Server 2008 environment, including administrators new to Windows Server 2008, those who have taken Course 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction, and those who are migrating from other operating systems.
Individuals who have extensive experience (10 years or more) with previous versions of Windows Server may find this course covers many topics with which they are already familiar and may want to consider alternative courses in the Windows Server 2008 curriculum.
What background do I need?
You need to have attended Course 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction, or have experience in a Windows Server 2003 or 2000 operating system in an Active Directory environment. At the minimum, you need to know how to navigate a Windows interface, and understand Active Directory concepts and Group Policy application. None of these topics are taught in this course, but the technolgies are used.
Is this an upgrade course?
This course is a comprehensive server administration course for Windows Server 2008. It covers far more than just new features and does not focus on the differences between Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. This course is designed for individuals who are familiar with Windows Server and who desire a comprehensive approach to administering Windows Server 2008 in their environment.
Has this course been updated to the latest release of Windows Server 2008 R2?
Yes. The entire course has been revised to incorporate Windows Server 2008 R2 features and functionality.
Should I take this course or Course 960?
The answer to this question depends on your background. If you have a good working knowledge of Windows Server 2003 or 2000 as well as an understanding of Active Directory and Group Policy concepts, this course is right for you. We focus on new technologies and interfaces, as well as best practices for server management.
If you are new to the Active Directory or a Windows environment, you should take Course 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction. Once you have learned the basic concepts in that course, you should take this course as a follow-on.
I only administer application servers. Should I take this course?
Yes. In this course, the focus is not on administering a particular type of server. You learn best practices for managing any type of server. If you are responsible for just administering a local group of servers, or even one server, you will still be able to use everything you learn to secure, maintain and optimize that server, regardless of its role.
I administer all kinds of servers. How will this course benefit me?
This course was designed to be a generic server administration course where you learn best practices for maintaining, securing, optimizing and troubleshooting your servers, no matter what function they perform in the company. The approaches and tools you learn are applicable to file servers, database servers or domain controllers.
Does this course cover security?
Yes. Securing servers is a key role for administrators in a today's Internet-dependent business environment. As always, there is a balance between security and usability. This course teaches you to balance these two roles by using role based hardening and virtualization to secure your servers. You learn to use assessment tools to evaluate the current security state and develop a plan to bring non-compliant systems up to grade. You set security policies appropriate to the server's role. We use the Server Core installation of Windows Server 2008 to decrease the attack surface available for hackers. You also investigate the benefits and pitfalls associated with auditing.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Windows Server 2008 administration 3.0 Building blocks of server management 3.0 Securing Windows Server 2008 4.0 Patch management implementation 4.0 Maintaining a high-availability environment 5.0 Maximizing performance and increasing responsiveness 2.0 Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008 2.0
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kinds of hands-on exercises are in the course?
Approximately 50 percent of this course is spent in practical exercises that provide experience administering Windows Server 2008. Exercises include:
- Managing remotely with PowerShell and Server Manager
- Creating baselines with MBSA
- Reducing the attack surface with Server Core
- Automating deployment of patches through WSUS
- Creating a fault tolerant environment with failover clusters and DFS
- Virtualizing server environments with Hyper-V
- Tuning and troubleshooting Windows 2008
- Solving boot configuration problems
I'm attending this course from work using AnyWare - Learning Tree's web-based remote attendance platform. How will that impact what I learn?
You will participate fully in the course and acquire the same knowledge and skills as your classmates who participate in the classroom. You will have the same course materials, be able to easily communicate back and forth and ask questions of your instructors and peers, and you will control an in-classroom workstation dedicated entirely to you. Your instructor will be able to see exactly what you're doing and can interactively offer concrete help.
I'm not allowed to administer the Active Directory in my environment. Will I still be able to use the information in this course?
Yes. Although we discuss and use Active Directory and group policies, the same effects can be achieved with local group policies. Even if you only have local administrative rights on a server, you are able to apply everything we discuss in the course.
Does this course only relate to Windows Server 2008 servers or can I apply what I learn to other server operating systems?
The exercises in this course are done in a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory environment; however, the principles and practices you learn are the same for any server administration scenario. Some of the tools are only available in Windows Server 2008, such as Server Manager, but for the most part, the tools used on this course are compatible with earlier versions of Microsoft server operating systems. In addition, many of the techniques you learn in this course are applicable to the Windows 7 environment.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
After taking this course, you might be interested in the following:
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or via AnyWare
From Your Home, Work or at One of Our AnyWare Learning Centers
Click here to view AnyWare Learning Centers »
You are provided with a dual screen computer and high-speed Internet – all set up and ready to go.
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend live from Home, Work or AnyWare Center
Course Attendance Method
Attend live In-Class
Select Your Date:
Tuition & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enroll Today – Hassle Free!
Call 1-888-843-8733 or enroll online by selecting your date above.
- No advance payment required.
- No fees for cancellation or rescheduling, ever.
- Take up to 30 days after your course date to pay.
- Satisfaction guaranteed – or you pay no tuition.
You can bring this course on-site to your organization
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"I took Windows Server 2008 Administration via AnyWare and really enjoyed the entire course—it was great to work from the quiet and comfort of my own home. The instructor, course material, and pace were all perfect for me."
– D. Moretti
IT Senior Associate
Queensboro Community College
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimized for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 1-888-843-8733.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
- IT & Management Training
IT Course Topics
- Agile with Scrum (15 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Big Data (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (11 Courses)
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (12 Courses) 1 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, Perl and Python Programming (8 Courses)
- Linux and UNIX (6 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (8 Courses)
- Mobile App Development (5 Courses)
- .NET/Visual Studio (12 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Networking and Virtualization (7 Courses)
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (17 Courses)
- SharePoint (12 Courses)
- Software Development (15 Courses) 2 NEW!
- SQL Server (16 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (10 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Windows Systems (17 Courses)
Management Course Topics
- Business Analysis (8 Courses)
- Communication (9 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Management and Leadership (9 Courses)
- Project Management (17 Courses)
- Learning Tree Certification Programs
- Industry Certifications
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certification
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- PRINCE2® Certification
- CompTIA Certification
- EC-Council CEH Certification
- College Credit
- Ways to Attend
North American Education & AnyWare Centers
- Atlanta, GA (3 locations)
- Boston, MA (2 locations)
- Charlotte, NC (3 locations)
- Chicago, IL (1 location)
- Connecticut (1 location)
- Jacksonville, FL (1 location)
- Los Angeles, CA (1 location)
- Northern New Jersey (5 locations)
- New York, NY (2 locations)
- Philadelphia, PA (4 locations)
- Richmond, VA (2 locations)
- Tidewater, VA (2 locations)
- Greater Washington / Baltimore Area (12 locations)
- Ottawa Area (3 locations)
- Toronto Area (3 locations)
- United Kingdom (9 locations)
- France (10 locations)
- Belgium (1 location)
- Sweden (1 location)
- Japan (1 location)
Live Online with AnyWare™
... from anywhere!
- My Learning Tree