Project Leadership: Building High-Performance Teams
Course 346 | 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Build and sustain high-performing project teams
- Develop team identity and empower others
- Foster productive team communication and effectively manage conflict
- Increase productivity by challenging your processes and motivating your people
- Manage internal and external influences that team performance
Workshop Activities Include:
- Applying the LSM model and leadership best practices
- Distinguishing the stages of team development
- Maximizing team participation in delivering project outcomes
- Creating team direction and purpose
- Applying conflict-style analysis to minimize disruption and distractions
- Identifying team needs for high performance
About This Course: In this course, you transition to a leader who can inspire a diverse team to work together and deliver customer success. At the end of your classroom experience, you take away an understanding of project leadership best practices and a development plan for personal application.
FREE AFTER-COURSE INSTRUCTOR COACHING — Learn more »
Course 346 Content
Introducing Leadership Theories and Approaches
- Defining high-performing, winning teams
- Recognizing the complexities of project management
- Identifying the actions of successful leaders
- Embracing situational vs. positional leadership
- Redefining leadership with the Leadership Services Model
Assessing Your Leadership Skills
Measuring yourself against the Leadership Services Model
- Exploring your motives and priorities
- Appraising your values and attitude
- Soliciting 360-degree feedback
- Working with a mentor and personal board of directors
- Examining your support network and sphere of influence
Managing your emotional intelligence
- Developing your self-awareness and social awareness
- Applying emotional intelligence to project management
Building a Team Identity and Purpose
Fostering a team state of mind
- Considering the stages of development
- Turning hard work into an enjoyable experience
Defining the future
- Clarifying and communicating your vision and goals
- Collaborating on project objectives
- Empowering others to act
Developing Productive Teams
Crafting a healthy, winning culture
- Agreeing on standards and ground rules
- Encouraging feedback and nurturing the emotional intelligence of your team
- Creating psychological safety through mutual respect
Overcoming communication barriers
- Clarifying roles, responsibilities and boundaries
- Learning the language of leadership
- Turning conflict to your advantage
Optimizing Efficiency through Motivated Teams
Thinking outside of the box
- Challenging the process
- Making decisions efficiently and effectively
Examining the art and science of motivation
- Balancing personal needs with organizational goals
- Adapting leadership to individual work styles
- Building ownership through delegation
- Managing virtual, remote and global teams
- Recognizing the importance of physical space
Monitoring External and Internal Risks
Combating the dangers of outside influences
- Assessing the organization's capacity for change
- Balancing project constraints and avoiding burnout
- Managing project subjectives and office politics
- Dealing with daily distractions and disruptions
Guarding the team from itself
- Managing underperformers
- Recognizing the perils of Groupthink
- Defending the team against your own shortcomings
Sustaining High Performance
- Celebrating success and failure
- Building morale
- Applying "Lessons Learned"
Reaching the next level
- Assuming responsibility and holding each other accountable
- Achieving autonomy and self-management
- Setting smart challenges
- Taking calculated risks
Building a Project Leadership Best-Practices Toolkit
- Beginning with the end in mind: defining your success
- Mapping the leadership services to the project life cycle
- Generating your personal leadership action plan
- Creating your customized project leadership framework
Who Should AttendTeam leads, project/program managers and anyone responsible for achieving organizational goals through teamwork.
- Project Management: Skills for Success - Course 296
- Complex Project Management - Course 287
- Influence Skills: Getting Results without Direct Authority - Course 294
- Management Skills - Course 290
- Communication Skills: Results through Collaboration - Course 292
- High Impact Leadership: Expanding Your Influence - Course 909
- Emotional Intelligence: Achieving Leadership Success - Course 3411
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep - Course 276
- PRINCE2®: Achieving Practitioner Certification - Course 177
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® Exam Prep - Course 3601
Standard Course Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each Course Day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Our Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms — Exclusively with Learning Tree
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition is NOT due until AFTER you've enjoyed your course
- There are NO FEES for canceling or rescheduling your course at ANY time
- Your Satisfaction is 100% GUARANTEED
Tuition is the same for In-Class, AnyWare™ or LiveLinked Course Participation
Commercial 2-Day 3-Day 4-Day 5-Day New Attendee $1,950 $2,650 $2,990 $3,190 Returning Attendee* $1,755 $2,385 $2,691 $2,871 Government 2-Day 3-Day 4-Day 5-Day New Attendee $1,485 $2,213 $2,499 $2,620 Returning Attendee* $1,339 $1,992 $2,249 $2,358
Course Tuition Includes:
Comprehensive Course Materials & Exams
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic. All certification exams are free.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programs to Enhance Your Credentials
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- College Credit Semester Hours and Continuing Education Units, displayed on your certificate
FREE Attendee Benefits Before, During & After Your Course
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE COMPUTING SANDBOX™
After your course, you will be provided with remote access to practice and extend your course's hands-on exercises on a virtual Learning Tree computer.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Savings:
Government GSA Schedule Pricing applies to all Federal, and most State and Local Government Entities, plus Federal Government Contractors working on qualified contracts. Learn more »
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 1-888-THE-TREE (843-8733) for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies for 1 semester hour of college credit as certified by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Read More... This course qualifies for 23 CPE credits from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPE program. Read More... This course is approved by PMI® for 23 professional development units (PDUs). For more on the Project Management Institute and a full list of courses approved for PDUs. Read More...
What is this course about?
Through an immersive case study, you transition into a leader capable of inspiring a diverse team to work together and deliver customer success. You learn how to develop effective team performance through the Leadership Services Model and build a strong team identity through vision, purpose and commitment. At the end of your classroom experience, you take away a project leadership best practices handbook and a personal development plan for use back at the office.
What is high-performance teamwork?
Today's project leaders face a range of growing demands - time-to-market, rising customer expectations, global competition, increasing regulation and others - all increase the pressure to deliver. Modern projects also typically involve coordinating work across commercial and organizational boundaries, using dispersed teams, contractors, and managing cultural differences.
High-performance leadership recognizes and works with the constraints that these conditions impose and builds team spirit, involvement and ownership to deliver and exceed customer expectations.
How practical is this course?
The course is intensely practical. Practical techniques such as team development stages, impacts of changes in project constraints/conditions on team performance, establishing productive team cultures and handling conflict are explained.
Each technique is reinforced with workshops and opportunities to practice the related skills.The core of the course is a real project that demands high levels of coordination and creativity from team members. The techniques learned in short, intensive lecture and activity sessions are immediately applied in the project. Realistic incidents and changes force the teams to adapt their plan and project work in real time. The skills learned in class are directly and immediately applicable back at work.
What background do I need?
There are no formal prerequisite requirements for this course. It's helpful to have some knowledge of basic project planning techniques such as timeline and milestones, but this is not essential.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course benefits anyone involved in building and managing a team in a project environment. Those who already manage a team and want to advance their team to a level of high performance will also benefit.
I'm an experienced project manager. Why should I take this course?
This course provides skills and techniques that go beyond the foundation of project management skills. In particular, you learn how to build a leadership style that works in today's global project-based organizations, handle conflict productively, build productive team environments, and manage virtual project teams. During the class real-time project, your experience will be called on as your team works to deal with deadlines, quality standards and project risks. This course is the ideal next step for project managers who want to progress in their careers.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Introduction 2.0 Applying the Leadership Services Model 9.0 Defining the team development framework 3.0 Planning for a team-driven project 2.0 Implementing through productive team leadership 3.0 Enhancing team performance 3.0 Evaluating the project and moving forward 2.0
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kinds of activities are covered in the workshops?
Approximately 50 percent of this course is spent in workshops. Throughout the course, you practice the roles of project leader and team member during an immersive case study. You develop a leadership style that builds successful high-performance project teams. Experiential activities include:
- Applying the LSM model and best leadership practices
- Distinguishing the stages of team development
- Developing team ground rules
- Maximizing team participation in delivering project process outcomes
- Creating team direction and purpose
- Applying conflict style analysis to minimize project disruption through role play
- Identifying what your project teams need to transition to high performance
- Building a personal project leadership action plan
Why is leadership training important?
Leadership is a key component of management and the source of high performance. Leadership is increasingly recognized, both in research and in practice, as what makes the difference between average and outstanding teams and organizations. Leadership skills have been shown to be learnable, not innate, characteristics. This course presents techniques to help participants build their skills as a leader.
What model of leadership does the course use?
The course uses a service-driven approach, illustrating how project managers can build their team's capabilities and performance through the application of techniques based on a six element model.
I follow a life-cycle model approach in my projects. How is high-performance different throughout the life cycle phases?
A life-cycle model uses phases, activities and tasks to approach a project in a systematic, disciplined and measurable way. This approach presents many unique challenges for project leaders. An effective project leader knows how to bring the team together throughout the project management life cycle.
In this course, you learn to recognize the team stages and how they affect power bases, team difference and communication. You learn how to use the right amount of power, embrace individual difference, apply emotional intelligence and communicate productively in each phase of the project.
Is this course applicable toward a Project Management Institute (PMI) certification?
Yes. Though this course is not designed as preparation for an exam, it is beneficial to anyone working toward, or maintaining, a PMI certification. Most PMI certifications require a specific number of PDUs in order to obtain and maintain the credential. Completion of this course provides 23 professional development units (PDUs).
Learning Tree offers several courses that help you prepare for PMI certifications, including Course 276, Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep, which prepares you for PMI's most popular certification. For more details on these courses and PMI certifications, please see the Learning Tree PMI Registered Education Provider Q&A.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
While the emphasis of this course is on improving your leadership skills, Learning Tree offers other courses in communication, management and planning. These include:
- 290, Management Skills
- 296, Project Management: Skills for Success
- 3610, Building and Evolving a Project Management Office
- 287, Complex Project Management
- 292, Communication Skills: Results through Collaboration
- 294, Influence Skills: Getting Results without Direct Authority
- 3702, Microsoft® Project Introduction
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or via AnyWare
From Your Home, Work or at One of Our AnyWare Learning Centers
Click here to view AnyWare Learning Centers »
You are provided with a dual screen computer and high-speed Internet – all set up and ready to go.
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend live from Home, Work or AnyWare Center
Course Attendance Method
Attend live In-Class
Select Your Date:
- Nov 4 - 7
- Nov 4 - 7–
- Dec 2 - 5
- Dec 9 - 12
- Jan 6 - 9
- Jan 6 - 9–
- Jan 13 - 16
- Jan 13 - 16–
- Jan 27 - 30
- Mar 17 - 20
- Mar 24 - 27
- Mar 30 - Apr 2
- Apr 14 - 17
- Apr 14 - 17–
- May 5 - 8
- May 5 - 8
- May 19 - 22
- May 19 - 22–
- May 26 - 29
- Jun 16 - 19
- Jun 16 - 19–
- Jul 7 - 10
- Jul 28 - 31
- Aug 4 - 7
- Aug 11 - 14
- Aug 18 - 21
- Sep 8 - 11
- Sep 29 - Oct 2
- Sep 29 - Oct 2–
Tuition & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enroll Today – Hassle Free!
Call 1-888-843-8733 or enroll online by selecting your date above.
- No advance payment required.
- No fees for cancellation or rescheduling, ever.
- Take up to 30 days after your course date to pay.
- Satisfaction guaranteed – or you pay no tuition.
You can bring this course on-site to your organization
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"The High-Performance Teams course and instructor exceeded my expectations. The course was facilitated in such a way that it was entirely applicable to my job. I have a team of project managers I oversee, and this course helped me understand the different styles of management and how to work with each manager individually."
– S. Gordon
Supervisor Program Analyst
Food & Drug Administration
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimized for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 1-888-843-8733.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
- IT & Management Training
IT Course Topics
- Agile with Scrum (15 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Big Data (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (11 Courses)
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (12 Courses) 1 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, Perl and Python Programming (8 Courses)
- Linux and UNIX (6 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (8 Courses)
- Mobile App Development (5 Courses)
- .NET/Visual Studio (12 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Networking and Virtualization (8 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (17 Courses)
- SharePoint (12 Courses)
- Software Development (15 Courses) 3 NEW!
- SQL Server (16 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (10 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Windows Systems (17 Courses)
Management Course Topics
- Business Analysis (8 Courses)
- Communication (9 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Management and Leadership (9 Courses)
- Project Management (17 Courses)
- Learning Tree Certification Programs
- Industry Certifications
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certification
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- PRINCE2® Certification
- CompTIA Certification
- EC-Council CEH Certification
- College Credit
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
North American Education & AnyWare Centers
- Atlanta, GA (3 locations)
- Boston, MA (2 locations)
- Charlotte, NC (3 locations)
- Chicago, IL (1 location)
- Connecticut (1 location)
- Jacksonville, FL (1 location)
- Los Angeles, CA (1 location)
- Northern New Jersey (5 locations)
- New York, NY (2 locations)
- Philadelphia, PA (4 locations)
- Richmond, VA (2 locations)
- Tidewater, VA (2 locations)
- Greater Washington / Baltimore Area (12 locations)
- Ottawa Area (3 locations)
- Toronto Area (3 locations)
- United Kingdom (9 locations)
- France (10 locations)
- Belgium (1 location)
- Sweden (1 location)
- Japan (1 location)
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree