Communication Skills: Results through Collaboration
Workshop Course 292 • 3 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Build collaborative relationships that emphasize trust and respect
- Communicate effectively using simple and concise language
- Enhance listening skills to anticipate and avoid misunderstandings
- Foster cross-cultural understanding in your workplace
- Eliminate communication roadblocks
- Focus on nonverbal cues
Workshop Activities Include:
- Experiencing one-way and two-way communication
- Defining your communication style
- Demonstrating active-listening skills
- Dealing with challenging emotions
- Revealing personal filters
- Overcoming cross-cultural barriers
About This Course: Through interactive workshops, self-assessments, role-playing activities and video simulations, you gain practical experience initiating and responding to various forms of communication. You will also learn to handle situations based on a flexible, genuine and self-confident approach.
This course is part of a Learning Tree Specialist or Expert Certification in Communication Skills – Learn more »
FREE AFTER-COURSE INSTRUCTOR COACHING — Learn more »
Course 292 Content
Building a Foundation
- Adopting simple, concise and direct language
- Identifying basic communication principles
- Applying a communication process model
Setting Clear Goals for Your Communication
Determining outcomes and results
- Soliciting feedback
- Matching intentions and results
- Figuring out what to say and the best way to say it
- Paying attention to verbal and nonverbal cues
- Creating a strong connection when face-to-face communication is missing
Avoiding Communication Breakdowns
Creating value in your conversations
- Strengthening your relationships
- Distinguishing value from waste
Taking personal responsibility
- Recognizing your role in communications
- Identifying internal and external factors that impact your communications
- Establishing message feedback
- Communicating nondefensively
Translating across Communication Styles
Identifying the four communication styles
- Recognizing your style and the style of others
- Strengths and blind spots of each style
Bridging communication styles
- Closing communication gaps
- Being flexible without compromising your identity
Listening for Improved Understanding
Tools for active listening
- Asking clarifying questions
- Confirming the message
- Demonstrating respect, empathy and sensitivity
- Listening for the entire message
Interpreting nonverbal cues
- Rate of speech
- Facial expressions
- Use of space
- Eye contact
Achieving Genuine Communication
- Determining when to speak up and when not to
- Identifying appropriate degrees of disclosure
- Establishing value and trust
A three-dimensional model of behavior
- Identifying how you interact with others and how to make improvements
- Calibrating the variance between what you want and what you express
Matching your body language to your message
- Enhancing your message to gain your intended results
- Creating believable and credible messages
- Ensuring that your attitude supports communication
- Speaking through silence
Navigating beyond cultural boundaries
- Developing greater sensitivity to cultural differences
- Building greater accountability and trust on virtual teams
Working with filters and assumptions
- Raising your awareness to avoid misunderstandings
- Uncovering hidden assumptions
- Recognizing filters in yourself and others
Working Constructively with Emotions
Dealing with anger
- Overcoming personal challenges
- Expressing your anger constructively
- Minimizing defensive reactions in others
Managing emotionally charged situations
- Defusing an emotional situation while maintaining your composure
- Taking responsibility for your emotions
Who Should AttendThose looking to strengthen their communication and collaboration skills and work confidently with others.
- Influence Skills: Getting Results without Direct Authority - Course 294
- Personal Skills for Professional Excellence - Course 297
- Management Skills - Course 290
- Assertiveness Skills: Communicating with Authority & Impact - Course 244
- Public Speaking: Compelling Speeches & Presentations - Course 903
- Emotional Intelligence: Achieving Leadership Success - Course 3411
- Project Management: Skills for Success - Course 296
- Developing Your Leadership Voice for Presence and Impact - Course 3405
Standard Course Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each Course Day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Our Uniquely Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition is due 30 days AFTER your course
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time
Tuition is the same for In-Class or AnyWare™ Course Participation
3-Day Tuition New Attendee Returning Attendee Notes Commercial $2,650 $2,385
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition payment is not required at time of enrollment.
Government $2,213 $1,992
Course Tuition Includes:
You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use to work on hands-on exercises.
Comprehensive Course Materials
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programs
— All Exams are FREE!
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- College Credit Units — which may qualify you for Tuition Reimbursement
FREE ATTENDEE BENEFITS
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE Computing Sandbox™
After your course, you'll be given remote access to a preconfigured virtual machine for you to redo your hands-on exercises, develop/test new code, and experiment with the same software used in your course.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Savings:
Government GSA Schedule Pricing applies to all Federal, and most State and Local Government Entities, plus Federal Government Contractors working on qualified contracts. Learn more »
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 1-888-THE-TREE (843-8733) for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies for 1 semester hour of college credit as certified by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Read More... This course qualifies as a Core Course in our Job-Specific Professional Certification Program. Read More... This course qualifies for 17 CPE credits from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPE program. Read More... This course is approved by PMI® for 17 professional development units (PDUs). For more on the Project Management Institute and a full list of courses approved for PDUs. Read More...
What is this course about?
In this course, you learn how to achieve results in your communications with others and build collaborative relationships that emphasize trust and respect. You also learn to enhance your active listening skills to anticipate and avoid common misunderstandings. The course also features skills for fostering cross-cultural understanding in the workplace and eliminating roadblocks that undermine your ability to communicate effectively.
Through interactive workshops, self assessments, role-playing activities and video simulations, you gain practical experience initiating and responding to communications with a flexible, genuine and self-confident approach.
Who will benefit from this course?
Anyone who must interact effectively with others to get the job done will find this course useful. Managers and professionals at all levels must rely upon sound communication skills for effective working relationships. People from all industries benefit from this course.
What background do I need?
No special background is required for this course. People from all industries will benefit from this course. All types of organizations-technical and non-technical, private and public, military and civilian, small and large-have sent participants to this course, with dramatic results.
How will this course help me deal with conflict in the workplace?
When people with diverse viewpoints meet, some conflict is inevitable. Whether a given conflict is constructive or destructive depends on how skillfully people communicate. This course teaches methods that enhance work relationships and communications.
I am a programmer and don't deal much with people outside my group. Do I still need this course?
Yes! Anyone who must interact with others inside or outside of their organization must be able to communicate well. This includes dealing with co-workers, direct reports and higher-level managers. While you may not have extensive communications with others, this course prepares you for those important challenges or critical situations.
How can learning about assumptions improve my communication skills?
People's beliefs and assumptions are contained in almost everything they say and do. Recognizing when people are making assumptions requires skill. Asking the right questions helps you make others aware of how their assumptions, beliefs and attitudes are helping or hindering them, and therefore improves communication.
Why should I care about openness and building trust?
In today's environment where downsizing and restructuring are negatively impacting work relationships, team spirit and effective teamwork are often adversely impacted by organizational change.
This course shows you how to find the right amount of openness, which helps you develop relationships that are more straightforward and where candid discussions and dialogue can take place.
Is this course applicable toward a Project Management Institute (PMI) certification?
Yes. Though this course is not designed as preparation for an exam, it is beneficial to anyone working toward, or maintaining, a PMI certification. Most PMI certifications require a specific number of PDUs in order to obtain and maintain the credential. Completion of this course provides 17 professional development units (PDUs).
Learning Tree offers several courses that help you prepare for PMI certifications, including Course 276, Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep, which prepares you for PMI's most popular certification. For more details on these courses and PMI certifications, please see the Learning Tree PMI Registered Education Provider Q&A.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Building a foundation 1.0 Setting clear goals for your communication 1.5 Avoiding communication breakdowns 2.0 Translating across communication styles 2.5 Listening for improved understanding 4.0 Achieving genuine communication 3.0 Cross-cultural communication 2.0 Working constructively with emotions 2.0
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kind of activities are in this course?
You are immersed in an experiential learning environment designed to allow you to practice the communication techniques, tools and strategies presented in class. Approximately 65 percent of the course is spent on activities, which include:
- Experiencing the difference between one-way and two-way communication
- Defining your communication style
- Dealing with challenging emotions through video scenarios
- Revealing personal filters through simulation games
- Overcoming cross-cultural barriers through case studies and role plays
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
Learning Tree offers other courses in management, communication and planning.
- 296, Project Management: Skills for Success teaches principles and best practice of running a broad range of projects.
- 290, Management Skills provides new and experienced managers with the practical skills needed to lead effective teams of professionals.
- 903, Public Speaking: Compelling Speeches & Presentations provides the opportunity to significantly improve your public speaking skills by practicing and delivering speeches and presentations in a safe environment with personalised feedback.
- 902, Business Relationship Management: Aligning IT & the Business offers the best practices of an IT Relationship Manager (ITRM) for facilitating actionable IT solutions that provide value to the business and satisfy the needs of business stakeholders.
- 294, Influence Skills: Getting Results without Direct Authority focuses on the specific behaviors and attitudes that enable you to achieve desired results without relying on the use of authority.
- 3405, Developing Your Leadership Voice for Presence and Impact provides the skills to create and apply your own communication style in a way that best represents you.
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
For AnyWare Learning Centers, Click Here »
You are provided with a dual screen computer and high-speed Internet – all set up and ready to go.
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend Live from Home, Work or AnyWare Center
Course Attendance Method
Attend Live In-Class
Tuition & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enroll in Your Learning Tree Course with Peace of Mind
- The tuition for your course is NOT DUE until a month after you attend - this may facilitate receiving Tuition Reimbursement from your organization.
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time.
- Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed ... or you pay no tuition.
FREE Attendee Benefits!
Learn more about these and other FREE Benefits, Click Here or Call 1-888-843-8733
You can bring this course on-site to your organization
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"The instructor of the communications skills course made sure that each and every person participated. I learned how to identify the four types of personalities and how they think and filter information. I have taken practically all of what I learned back to work with me! This was key to help me reach my professional goals."
– A. Di Stefano
Pasadena Athletic Association Cycling
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimized for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 1-888-843-8733.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
- IT & Management Training
IT Course Topics
- Agile with Scrum (17 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Big Data (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (13 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (14 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, Perl and Python Programming (8 Courses)
- Linux and UNIX (6 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (7 Courses)
- Mobile App Development (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- .NET/Visual Studio (12 Courses)
- Networking and Virtualization (8 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (19 Courses) 2 NEW!
- SharePoint (12 courses) 1 NEW!
- Software Development (17 Courses) 2 NEW!
- SQL Server (15 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (10 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Windows Systems (17 Courses) 1 NEW!
Management Course Topics
- Business Analysis (8 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Leadership and Professional Development (16 Courses)
- Project Management (19 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Learning Tree Certification Programs
- Industry Certifications
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certification
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- PRINCE2® Certification
- CompTIA Certification
- EC-Council CEH Certification
- College Credit
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
North American Education & AnyWare Centers
- Atlanta, GA (3 locations)
- Boston, MA (2 locations)
- Charlotte, NC (3 locations)
- Chicago, IL (1 location)
- Connecticut (1 location)
- Jacksonville, FL (1 location)
- Los Angeles, CA (1 location)
- Northern New Jersey (5 locations)
- New York, NY (2 locations)
- Philadelphia, PA (4 locations)
- Richmond, VA (2 locations)
- Tidewater, VA (2 locations)
- Greater Washington / Baltimore Area (12 locations)
- Ottawa Area (3 locations)
- Toronto Area (3 locations)
- United Kingdom (9 locations)
- France (10 locations)
- Belgium (1 location)
- Sweden (1 location)
- Japan (1 location)
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree