Windows® 7 Introduction
Hands-On Course 2400 • 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Install, manage and support Windows 7
- Configure the operating system for optimal performance
- Secure local and network-accessible resources
- Protect files, folders and drives with built-in encryption technologies
- Troubleshoot Windows 7 operating systems
- Selectively control user access to specific installed applications
Hands-On Experience: You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use.
- Performing network installations with Windows Deployment Services
- Troubleshooting system performance with Action Center tools
- Creating and managing physical and virtual disk volumes
- Securing USB data with BitLocker To Go
- Sharing and accessing network resources
- Prohibiting applications with AppLocker
About This Course: Organizations are always looking for ways to lower costs and increase the return on their IT infrastructure investment. Windows 7 offers stability, security, performance and compatibility which further maximizes productivity and reduces total cost of ownership. In this course, you gain the skills needed to manage, maintain and support the most advanced features and capabilities of Windows 7.
This course is part of a Learning Tree Specialist or Expert Certification in Windows 7 Support – Learn more »
FREE AFTER-COURSE INSTRUCTOR COACHING — Learn more »
Course 2400 Content
Introduction to Windows 7
Discovering the new features
- Evaluating performance improvements
- Investigating usability enhancements
Installing Windows 7
- Licensing and activation
- Selecting installation options
Navigating the system
- Exploring the new user interface
- Locating and launching new tools
Configuring and Maintaining the OS
Evaluating alternate installation options
- Installing to Virtual Hard Disks (VHDs)
- Installing to virtual machines
Ensuring optimal configurations
- Performing post-setup customization
- Modifying settings with PowerShell
- Managing hardware through Device Stage
Troubleshooting and restoring
- Booting to the Windows Recovery Environment
- Recovering functionality with System Restore
- Repairing the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store
Managing User Accounts and Environments
Creating and modifying security boundaries
- Comparing workgroups with domains
- Establishing HomeGroups
- Credential Manager
Operating within an Active Directory domain
- Joining and participating in a Windows domain
- Publishing and locating network resources
Configuring and controlling user environments
- Creating custom libraries
- Implementing Offline Caching and Folder Redirection
Customizing User Account Control (UAC)
- Adjusting the UAC to allow routine tasks
- Mandating UAC settings with Group Policies
Securing Local and Network Resources
Implementing Discretionary Access Control (DAC)
- Setting permissions for files, folders and printers
- Simplifying object access with inheritance
Securing and auditing the system
- Tracking user rights and object access
- Troubleshooting access problems
Encrypting drives and devices
- Leveraging biometric devices for authentication
- Protecting hard disks with BitLocker
- Maintaining USB media privacy with BitLocker To Go
Networking with Windows 7
Configuring TCP/IP functionality
- Selecting protocol and options
- Investigating TCP/IP configurations
Network Location Awareness
- Exploring the Network and Sharing Center
- Merging cached networks
Connecting to wireless networks
- Generating a network map
- Managing Wi-Fi network lists
- Simplifying wireless access with enhanced features
Sharing and accessing resources
- Providing local resources to the network
- Locating printers and folders with Network Explorer
Accessing the enterprise remotely
- Working securely with Remote Desktop Services (RDS)
- VPN Reconnect
Managing Programs and Compatibility
Leveraging built-in technologies
- Tracking crashes with Problem Steps Recorder
- Customizing system security for legacy programs
Monitoring and analyzing applications
- Preventing issues with Program Compatibility troubleshooter
- Inspecting file system and registry redirection
Who Should AttendIT and desktop support staff, systems administrators, power users and anyone wanting to gain hands-on experience with Windows 7.
- Deploying and Managing Windows - Course 2401
- Windows 8 Introduction - Course 2404
- Windows Server 2008 Introduction - Course 960
- Windows Server 2008 Administration - Course 961
- Windows Server Group Policy Management - Course 963
- IIS 7.5 for Windows Server 2008 - Course 966
- Windows PowerShell: Automating Administrative Tasks - Course 969
Standard Course Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each Course Day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Our Uniquely Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition is due 30 days AFTER your course
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time
Tuition is the same for In-Class or AnyWare™ Course Participation
4-Day Tuition New Attendee Returning Attendee Notes Commercial $2,990 $2,695
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition payment is not required at time of enrollment.
Government $2,499 $2,249
Course Tuition Includes:
You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use to work on hands-on exercises.
Comprehensive Course Materials
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programs
— All Exams are FREE!
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- College Credit Units — which may qualify you for Tuition Reimbursement
FREE ATTENDEE BENEFITS
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE Computing Sandbox™
After your course, you'll be given remote access to a preconfigured virtual machine for you to redo your hands-on exercises, develop/test new code, and experiment with the same software used in your course.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Savings:
Government GSA Schedule Pricing applies to all Federal, and most State and Local Government Entities, plus Federal Government Contractors working on qualified contracts. Learn more »
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 1-888-THE-TREE (843-8733) for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies for 2 semester hours of college credit as certified by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Read More... This course qualifies as a Core Course in our Job-Specific Professional Certification Program. Read More... This course is approved by CompTIA for continuing education units (CEUs). For additional information and to confirm which courses are eligible towards your CompTIA certification, click here. This course qualifies for 23 CPE credits from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPE program. Read More...
What is this course about?
In this course, you gain the skills necessary to manage, maintain and support the most advanced features and capabilities of Windows 7. You learn to configure and customize the OS for optimal performance, establish and maintain user accounts and groups, secure local and network-accessible resources, ensure application compatibility and functionality, and troubleshoot Windows 7 operating and networking systems.
Who will benefit from this course?
IT and desktop support staff, system administrators, power users and anyone wanting to gain hands-on experience with Windows 7 will benefit from this course.
What background do I need?
Anyone with a Windows IT background will likely find this course of value. If you have never had experience with Windows operating systems, but are technically inclined with experience in other GUI operating systems, such as Mac OS or Red Hat Linux, you will likely succeed in this course.
Is this a new features course, only covering the differences between earlier Windows versions and Windows 7?
No. This course is a comprehensive introduction to Windows 7. We cover the fundamental IT topics, principles and concepts in a Windows 7 environment.
Will I learn how to configure my laptop to interact safely with my domain servers at work and at home?
Yes. While we will not concentrate on home networks and personal computing, we know it is important for today's travelers to use their laptops securely wherever they work. In this coruse, you learn about Network Location Awareness and Homegroups, which together provide laptop users with a safe and secure method of networking everywhere.
Will I learn about BitLocker recovery and relocking techniques?
Yes. You will perform a BitLocker recovery in a hands-on exercise, and you will learn to schedule automatic relocking of BitLocker-encrypted drives based on time and/or events.
Will I learn to use PowerShell to manage Windows 7?
You will learn the basic concepts and capabilities of PowerShell for routine workstation investigation and management, such as synchronizing folder permissions and starting or stopping services, but for a full overview of the PowerShell product, you should consider Course 969, Windows PowerShell®: Automating Administrative Tasks, which deals exclusively with PowerShell for four full days.
Does this course cover all editions of Windows 7?
Yes, all editions are covered at some level, but this course is delivered using Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate Edition. Users of other editions should review the course brochure topics before deciding if this course is appropriate for them.
Does this course address Active Directory administration from Windows 7 workstations?
Yes, but only in basic techniques. You will install Active Directory administrative tools onto a Windows 7 computer and use them to create domain users and groups while sitting at a workstation. However, for a full introduction to Windows domains and the Active Directory, you would should consider Course 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction
How does Windows 7 fit into the Windows family?
Windows 7 is the latest desktop operating system from Microsoft. It is built on Windows Vista concepts and technologies, but includes vastly improved performance, security, and usability.
I have 5 years of support experience with an earlier edition of Windows . Should I take this course?
Yes. If your company is planning to move to Windows 7, then you will benefit by becoming familiar with the latest tools and technologies afforded by Windows 7 operating systems. If your company is already immersed in its desktop migration, you will be ready to assist this process with the knowledge gained in this course.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Introduction to Windows 7 3.0 Configuring and maintaining the OS 5.0 Managing user accounts and environments 4.0 Securing local and network resources 5.0 Networking with Windows 7 3.0 Managing programs and compatibility 3.0
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kinds of hands-on exercises are performed in this course?
Approximately 40 percent of the time in this course is spent on extensive hands-on exercises that provide practical experience configuring Windows 7. Exercises include:
- Installing Windows 7
- Monitoring and troubleshooting system performance with Action Center tools
- Creating and managing users and groups
- Adjusting User Account Control (UAC) strictness
- Securing USB data with BitLocker To-Go
- Sharing and accessing network resources
- Prohibiting applications with AppLocker
- Troubleshooting application compatibility
- Managing credentials with Windows Vault
I'm attending this course from work using AnyWare - Learning Tree's web-based remote attendance platform. How will that impact what I learn?
You will participate fully in the course and acquire the same knowledge and skills as your classmates who participate in the classroom. You will have the same course materials, be able to easily communicate back and forth and ask questions of your instructors and peers, and you will control an in-classroom workstation dedicated entirely to you. Your instructor will be able to see exactly what you're doing and can interactively offer concrete help.
I have recently been promoted to a PC support role, and I'm new to Windows technologies. Will I be adequately prepared for this course?
If you have been involved with the daily use of Windows computers, and if you are comfortable with IT concepts, you will benefit from this course, even though some topics and technologies may not be familiar.
How does this course help prepare me for Course 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction?
This course introduces you to Microsoft's newest desktop operating system and to some of the concepts and technologies involved in domain participation. When you move forward to Course 960, you will be better prepared to understand domain principles as well as those of desktop operating systems participating in a domain.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
Learning Tree offers a number of courses that will help you expand upon the knowledge gained in this course and further your skills in several key areas. Those courses include:
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
For AnyWare Learning Centers, Click Here »
You are provided with a dual screen computer and high-speed Internet – all set up and ready to go.
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend Live from Home, Work or AnyWare Center
Course Attendance Method
Attend Live In-Class
Tuition & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enroll in Your Learning Tree Course with Peace of Mind
- The tuition for your course is NOT DUE until a month after you attend - this may facilitate receiving Tuition Reimbursement from your organization.
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time.
- Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed ... or you pay no tuition.
FREE Attendee Benefits!
Learn more about these and other FREE Benefits, Click Here or Call 1-888-843-8733
You can bring this course on-site to your organization
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"In this Windows 7 course I learned command prompt tools that enabled me to find the exact location of possible problems and how to remove them."
– L. Do
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimized for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 1-888-843-8733.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
- IT & Management Training
IT Course Topics
- Agile with Scrum (17 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Big Data (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (13 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (14 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, Perl and Python Programming (8 Courses)
- Linux and UNIX (6 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (7 Courses)
- Mobile App Development (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- .NET/Visual Studio (12 Courses)
- Networking and Virtualization (8 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (19 Courses) 2 NEW!
- SharePoint (12 courses) 1 NEW!
- Software Development (17 Courses) 2 NEW!
- SQL Server (15 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (10 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Windows Systems (17 Courses) 1 NEW!
Management Course Topics
- Business Analysis (8 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Leadership and Professional Development (16 Courses)
- Project Management (19 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Learning Tree Certification Programs
- Industry Certifications
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certification
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- PRINCE2® Certification
- CompTIA Certification
- EC-Council CEH Certification
- College Credit
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
North American Education & AnyWare Centers
- Atlanta, GA (3 locations)
- Boston, MA (2 locations)
- Charlotte, NC (3 locations)
- Chicago, IL (1 location)
- Connecticut (1 location)
- Jacksonville, FL (1 location)
- Los Angeles, CA (1 location)
- Northern New Jersey (5 locations)
- New York, NY (2 locations)
- Philadelphia, PA (4 locations)
- Richmond, VA (2 locations)
- Tidewater, VA (2 locations)
- Greater Washington / Baltimore Area (12 locations)
- Ottawa Area (3 locations)
- Toronto Area (3 locations)
- United Kingdom (9 locations)
- France (10 locations)
- Belgium (1 location)
- Sweden (1 location)
- Japan (1 location)
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree