VBA Programming Introduction
Hands-On Course 209 • 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Develop custom solutions, automate tasks and increase performance
- Apply the object models to program effectively in the Office System
- Enhancing the Office 2007-2013 Ribbon with new functionality
- Exploit ActiveX controls to create functional and familiar UIs
- Troubleshoot code using debugging tools
- Secure your code and protect your users from macro viruses
Hands-On Experience: You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use.
- Building user interfaces with standard and custom controls
- Recovering from user mistakes
- Adding subtotaling to an Excel workbook
- Creating form letters and mail with userforms
- Enhancing recorded macros
- Protecting users with digital signatures
About This Course: VBA can enable your organization to create custom and effective business solutions. In this course, you will learn the fundamentals of VBA programming from the ground up. You will gain the skills needed to automate repetitive tasks, build user interfaces and increase performance. Using VBA, you can write code and develop custom-built solutions.
FREE AFTER-COURSE INSTRUCTOR COACHING — Learn more »
Course 209 Content
The advantages of VBA
- An easy-to-use and versatile language
- Integrated with off-the-shelf products
Macros: the first step
- Recording and executing macros
- Enhancing with VBA code
Getting to Know the VBA Environment
The code design tools
- Project Explorer
- Help system
- Code Window
- Properties Window
- Object Browser
The debugging tools
- Code stepping
- Immediate Window
Writing VBA Code
- The role of events in Windows
- Responding to events through event procedures
Putting objects to work
- Using With...End With
Storing data in variables
- How and when to declare variables
- Selecting data types
- Fixed and dynamic arrays
Looping through code
- Do...Loop, While and Until
- For...Next and For Each...Next
- Creating Sub and Function procedures
- Calling procedures
- Passing arguments to procedures
Empowering VBA through the Application Object Models
Understanding object model structures
- Exploring the hierarchy with the Object Browser and Help
- Referencing specific objects
Writing application-specific procedures
- Key objects within Excel, Word and Outlook
- Creating templates and add-ins
Exploiting the power of Automation
- Controlling one Office application while working in another application
- Accessing data in databases using ActiveX Data Objects
Building Intuitive User Interfaces
Using intrinsic dialogs
- Communicating with the user through the message box
- Gathering user information with the input box
- Utilizing the FileDialog object and Dialogs collections
Creating customized dialogs with UserForm objects
- Command buttons
- List and Combo boxes
- Option buttons
- Check boxes
- Text boxes
- Adding more functionality with advanced ActiveX controls
Modifying menus and toolbars
- Simplifying user interaction with the CommandBar object
- Adding and removing CommandBarControl objects
Providing a Safe and Secure Environment
Handling runtime errors
- The On Error GoTo structure
- Classifying errors with the Err object
- Executing with Resume, Resume Next or Resume label
- The dangers of macro viruses
- Macro security levels in Office
- Applying digital signatures to macros
- Password-protecting your VBA code
Who Should AttendAnyone who wants to learn the fundamentals of programming and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), who has some experience with Microsoft Office. No prior programming experience is required.
- Power Excel: Analyzing Data to Make Business Decisions - Course 195
- Business Analysis Introduction: Defining Successful Projects - Course 211
- Project Management: Skills for Success - Course 296
- Visual Basic Programming for .NET - Course 503
- Microsoft Access Introduction - Course 970
- Power Pivot for Excel: Mining Data for Business Intelligence - Course 1362
Standard Course Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each Course Day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Our Uniquely Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition is due 30 days AFTER your course
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time
Tuition is the same for In-Class or AnyWare™ Course Participation
4-Day Tuition New Attendee Returning Attendee Notes Commercial $2,990 $2,695
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition payment is not required at time of enrollment.
Government $2,499 $2,249
Course Tuition Includes:
You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use to work on hands-on exercises.
Comprehensive Course Materials
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programs
— All Exams are FREE!
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- College Credit Units — which may qualify you for Tuition Reimbursement
FREE ATTENDEE BENEFITS
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE Computing Sandbox™
After your course, you'll be given remote access to a preconfigured virtual machine for you to redo your hands-on exercises, develop/test new code, and experiment with the same software used in your course.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Savings:
Government GSA Schedule Pricing applies to all Federal, and most State and Local Government Entities, plus Federal Government Contractors working on qualified contracts. Learn more »
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 1-888-THE-TREE (843-8733) for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies for 2 semester hours of college credit as certified by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Read More... This course qualifies for 23 CPE credits from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPE program. Read More...
What is this course about?
This course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills required to program using the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming tools. You will learn to automate repetitive tasks performed by users of existing business applications. As you learn how to use VBA to enhance existing functionality within a host application, you understand how it may be an effective and efficient alternative to other programming languages. In this course, we use Microsoft Office as host applications.
What background do I need?
You should be familiar enough with Microsoft Office products that you can navigate the user interface and perform basic functions, specifically within Word and Excel.
Is programming experience required for this course?
No. Previous programming experience is helpful but not required. The course covers VBA from the ground up.
Who will benefit from this course?
Whether you are a power user or developer of Office or other VBA-compatible products, a programmer new to VBA, a manager, an analyst, or an office administrator, you learn techniques that can be applied immediately at work. The course also helps managers realize the potential of enhancing applications with VBA.
What is VBA?
Visual Basic for Applications is a programming environment designed to enable power users and developers to rapidly build custom business solutions using off-the-shelf software applications as VBA host applications. VBA includes a sophisticated set of programming tools based on the Visual Basic development system.
Which version of Microsoft Office is used in this course?
We cover all versions from Office 2000 through Office 2013. You may choose to complete the course exercises in either Office 2003 (suitable for users of versions 2000 through 2003) or Office 2013 (suitable for users of versions 2007 through 2013).
There are very few differences in VBA between versions. Any version variations will be clearly documented in the course materials.
Are the skills learned in this course only applicable to Microsoft Office?
No. In this course, you use Microsoft Office programs as host applications. However, there are many products on the market that host VBA such as AutoCAD, Rational Rose and WordPerfect. Skills gained in this course can be applied regardless of your host application.
What can I do with VBA that can't already be accomplished in the applications that come with Microsoft Office?
VBA programming allows you to automate the point-and-clicks that users of programs like Word and Excel otherwise must accomplish from the user interface. It's possible to automate virtually every user action with VBA.
Will I learn to program Microsoft Access?
The VBA language covered in this course is the same as that used in Access. The course also shows you how to retrieve data from a database.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Introduction 1.0 Recording and executing macros 1.0 Writing generic VBA code 5.5 Objects 1.0 Event-driven programming 1.0 Understanding the object models 1.5 Writing application-specific procedures 5.0 Retrieving data from databases 1.0 Creating customized dialogs 3.0 Modifying menus and toolbars 1.0 Handling errors 1.0 Implementing security 1.0
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What is covered in the hands-on exercises?
Approximately 50% of the course is devoted to the more than 20 hands-on exercises that reinforce the concepts and techniques presented in the course material.
We start by recording and executing simple macros. Then you learn to enhance these macros by using VBA functionality. You write VBA to respond to specific events passed to the host application from Windows. With conditional branching and looping, you learn to add functionality to applications not attainable through the user interface. We employ the VBA tools to communicate with the user through standard and customized dialog boxes, menus and toolbars. Examples of in-class exercises include:
- Building an automated expense report in Excel
- Creating dynamic form letters in Word and Outlook
- Retrieving data from a database
- Crafting an add-in
- Plus many more!
I'm attending this course from work using AnyWare-Learning Tree's web-based remote attendance platform. How will that impact what I learn?
You will participate fully in the course and acquire the same knowledge and skills as your classmates who participate in the classroom. You will have the same course materials, be able to easily communicate back and forth and ask questions of your instructors and peers, and you will control an in-classroom workstation dedicated entirely to you. Your instructor will be able to see exactly what you're doing and can interactively offer concrete help.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
Learning Tree offers a number of courses that will help you expand upon the knowledge gained in this course and further your skills in several key areas. Those courses include:
- 195, Power Excel®: Analyzing Data to Make Business Decisions teaches how to harness the power of Microsoft Excel to analyze business problems and identify solutions, allowing you to make sound decisions that, in today's fast-paced climate, can lead to a competitive business advantage.
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
For AnyWare Learning Centers, Click Here »
You are provided with a dual screen computer and high-speed Internet – all set up and ready to go.
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend Live from Home, Work or AnyWare Center
Course Attendance Method
Attend Live In-Class
Tuition & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enroll in Your Learning Tree Course with Peace of Mind
- The tuition for your course is NOT DUE until a month after you attend - this may facilitate receiving Tuition Reimbursement from your organization.
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time.
- Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed ... or you pay no tuition.
FREE Attendee Benefits!
Learn more about these and other FREE Benefits, Click Here or Call 1-888-843-8733
You can bring this course on-site to your organization
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"I really appreciated the way we online students were able to participate in the VBA programming class via AnyWare. It did not feel at all like we were thousands of miles away!"
– Y. Freeman
Director of Marketing Operations
Macy's Inc. Software
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimized for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 1-888-843-8733.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
- IT & Management Training
IT Course Topics
- Agile with Scrum (19 Courses) 4 NEW!
- Apple OS X/iOS Programming & Enterprise Integration Training (2 courses) 1 NEW!
- Big Data (7 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (15 Courses) 6 NEW!
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (15 Courses) 1 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, Perl and Python Programming (10 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Linux and UNIX (8 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Microsoft Office (10 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Mobile App Development and Apple Programming (6 Courses) 2 NEW!
- .NET/Visual Studio (16 Courses) 4 NEW!
- Networking and Virtualization (9 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (21 Courses) 4 NEW!
- SharePoint (14 courses) 3 NEW!
- Software Development (19 Courses) 4 NEW!
- SQL Server (22 Courses) 8 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (12 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Windows Systems (19 Courses) 3 NEW!
Management Course Topics
- Business Analysis (10 Courses) 2 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Leadership and Professional Development (17 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Project Management (21 Courses) 4 NEW!
- Learning Tree Certification Programs
- Industry Certifications
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certification
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- PRINCE2® Certification
- CompTIA Certification
- EC-Council CEH Certification
- College Credit
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
North American Education & AnyWare Centers
- Atlanta, GA (3 locations)
- Boston, MA (2 locations)
- Charlotte, NC (2 locations)
- Chicago, IL (1 location)
- Connecticut (1 location)
- Jacksonville, FL (1 location)
- Los Angeles, CA (1 location)
- Northern New Jersey (5 locations)
- New York, NY (2 locations)
- Philadelphia, PA (2 locations)
- Richmond, VA (2 locations)
- Tidewater, VA (1 location)
- Greater Washington / Baltimore Area (12 locations)
- Ottawa Area (3 locations)
- Toronto Area (3 locations)
- United Kingdom (8 locations)
- France (9 locations)
- Sweden (3 locations)
- Japan (1 location)
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree