Hands-On Course 126 • 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Develop reports to transform data into meaningful information
- Create advanced graphical and crosstab reports
- Add calculations and program logic with the Formula Workshop
- Connect to data sources and extract data to meet reporting needs
- Deploy reports via HTML via Visual Basic and .NET
Hands-On Experience: You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use.
- Building reports from the ground up
- Connecting to data sources natively, via OLE DB and ODBC
- Designing a crosstab and drill-down report
- Developing a summary report with drill-down capabilities
- Simplifying information using charts and graphs
- Deploying your report to a web server for distribution
About This Course: You gain extensive experience using Crystal Reports to connect to databases, retrieve raw data, format data, and create and present reports for widespread distribution. You return to your organization with a detailed process to help you connect to data sources and create useful reports.
Hands-On Course 126 • 4 Days
Course 126 Content
Overview of Crystal Reports
- Formatting and summarizing data
- Filtering, sorting and grouping data
- Customizing reports with business logic
- Connecting to SQL Server, Oracle and Access databases
The Crystal Report Writer
Writing a basic report
- Selecting a format
- Adding text and fields
- Connecting to remote data sources
- Configuring the reporting environment
Formatting and styling
- Tailoring sections within a report
- Designing fields for quality presentations
- Highlighting data with Highlight Expert
Linking Crystal Reports to Data
Connecting to popular data sources
- SQL Server
- Web logs
- Reporting from stored procedures and views
Establishing data connections
- Creating a connectivity checklist
- Configuring ODBC and OLE DB
- Integrating SQL commands in a report
Interpreting Structures and Retrieving Data
Navigating complex data
- Deciphering data structures
- Identifying data relationships
Gathering the right data
- Merging data from multiple tables
- Building business queries
Combining Powerful Report Techniques
Organizing and summarizing reports
- Sorting user sort control and grouping
- Summary and Rolling Total fields
Building advanced reports
- Embedding linked and unlinked subreports into reports
- Creating crosstab and drill-down reports
- Designing dynamic and cascading prompts
- Hyperlinking Reports and Multilingual Reports
- Achieving reusability with templates
Visualizing complex data
- Simplifying data with charts and graphs
- Organizing fields into sections
- Adding, merging, suppressing sections
Programming Data Functionality
Coding in formula language
- Working with variables and operators
- Deciphering formula syntax
- Adding and modifying formulas
- Calling and working with functions
Writing effective formulas
- Building if/then/else statements
- Converting and comparing data
- Debugging the code
- Employing the Formula Workshop
Converting to Basic Syntax
- Writing formulas with Basic Syntax
- Laying a foundation for complex reporting logic
Deploying Reports to the Internet, Visual Basic and .NET
Deploying Crystal Reports
- Deciding among Push, Pull, Static and Dynamic reports
- Migrating to production by switching databases
Publishing reports to a website and integrating into custom applications
- Exploring development options
- Exporting reports to PDF, Excel, Word and HTML
- Adding Crystal Reports to a .NET application
Who Should AttendAnyone involved in creating reports from stored data who has experience using Windows and working with a spreadsheet.
Standard Course Hours:
9:00 am – 4:30 pm
FREE Online Course Exam (if applicable) – Last Day:
3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
By successfully completing your FREE online course exam, you will:
- Make progress toward earning one or more Learning Tree Specialist & Expert Certifications.
- Earn College Credit Semester Units – which are recommended by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) and accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities.
PLUS, the College Credit Semester Units you earn may qualify you to receive
Tuition Reimbursement from your organization.
- Receive a Certificate of Achievement with the designation "Awarded with Distinction".
To learn more about the Certifications and College Credits you can earn with this course, Click Here »
Each Course Day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Tuition & Benefits
Hands-On Course 126 • 4 Days
Our Uniquely Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition is due 30 days AFTER your course
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time
Tuition is the same for In-Class or AnyWare™ Course Participation
4-Day Tuition New Attendee Returning Attendee Notes Commercial $2,990 $2,695
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition payment is not required at time of enrollment.
Government $2,659 $2,393
Course Tuition Includes:
You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use to work on hands-on exercises.
Comprehensive Course Materials
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programs
— All Exams are FREE!
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- College Credit Units — which may qualify you for Tuition Reimbursement
FREE ATTENDEE BENEFITS
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE Computing Sandbox™
After your course, you'll be given remote access to a preconfigured virtual machine for you to redo your hands-on exercises, develop/test new code, and experiment with the same software used in your course.
Note: The Computing Sandbox is not available for all courses. To see courses that offer the Computing Sandbox benefit, please Click Here »
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Savings:
Government GSA Schedule Pricing applies to all Federal, and most State and Local Government Entities, plus Federal Government Contractors working on qualified contracts. Learn more »
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 1-888-THE-TREE (843-8733) for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Hands-On Course 126 • 4 Days
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies for 2 semester hours of college credit as certified by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Read More... This course qualifies for 23 CPE credits from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPE program. Read More...
Hands-On Course 126 • 4 Days
What is this course about?
In this course, you learn how to develop sophisticated reports using Crystal Reports, an industry-leading report-writing tool. You learn to connect to various corporate data sources, such as SQL Server, Oracle, Microsoft Access and XML files. You navigate these data storage systems, learn to find the information you need, and extract the data to produce sophisticated reports.
You learn to publish these reports via the Internet and intranets. You also learn to integrate reports into custom applications. You return to your organization with a detailed checklist to help you connect to data sources and begin creating useful reports.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course is valuable for anyone involved in creating reports from stored data, including systems analysts, business analysts, data analysts, project managers who want custom reports, systems administrators who need to report on system logs, programmer analysts who need to integrate reports into custom applications, and Webmasters who want to publish reports to the Internet or intranets.
Those who are new to Crystal Reports will learn how to build and create reports while experienced users will be introduced more sophisticated reporting techniques that are not intuitive to the self-learner.
What background do I need?
While no formal background is required, you should be comfortable using Windows and working with a spreadsheet or word processor. Experience working with formulas in a spreadsheet program is also helpful.
The course starts off with a Crystal Reports introduction, and moves on to intermediate and advanced topics covering the gamut of the product. All backgrounds will benefit from taking this course.
What is Crystal Reports?
Crystal Reports is a widespread, industry-leading report writer. It has an easy-to-use interface that allows users to build reports quickly, yet has enough depth to produce complex reports to satisfy advanced reporting needs.
What if my organization is not using the latest version of Crystal Reports?
This course uses Crystal Reports 2013. Crystal Reports 2013 is the legacy report writer and not SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise. This course covers Crystal Reports 2013 which is the same product as Crystal Reports 2011 and 2008 with bug fixes and minimal updates. Crystal Report Enterprise requires SAP Semantic layer and is not covered in this course. If you are using a prior version of Crystal Reports such as 2008, XI, 10, 9 or 8 within your organization, this course will still be applicable. If you use Crystal Reports 7 or an earlier version, you will notice a greater change with the user interface, but much of what you learn in this course will still apply.
What are some of the new features in Crystal Reports 2013?
Crystal Reports 2013 is an incremental update from Crystal Reports 2011, and includes service pack integration with Visual Studio 2012.
How is this course beneficial for power users?
As a power user, you will learn how to access data and improve your ability to communicate with database experts. Additionally, you will be introduced to sophisticated reporting techniques.
I am a systems administrator. Will this course be beneficial to me?
Yes. Crystal Reports allows you to connect to non-traditional data sources, such as blogs and XML files, so you benefit from the ability to report on systems data.
I am a programmer. How will this course benefit me?
Crystal Reports are popular reports to display in .NET applications. In this course, you learn how to display reports in a custom Web or desktop application via Visual Studio.
Your programming skills can also be used to work with formulas and queries in Crystal Reports.
Do I need to know about the databases I am working with before I take this course?
No. In this course, you learn to read, navigate and create reports from a variety of databases. This knowledge enables you to create effective reports to display database information.
How much time is devoted to each topic?
Content Hours Crystal Reports overview 0.5 Crystal Report Writer 8.0 Linking Crystal Reports to data 1.5 Interpreting structures and retrieving data 1.5 Combining powerful report techniques 3.0 Programming data functionality 4.0 Deploying reports to the Internet, intranets, Visual Basic and .NET 2.5
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kinds of hands-on exercises are included in the course?
Approximately 40 percent of class time is spent in hands-on exercises. The exercises you perform in class include:
- Developing a variety of reports
- Adding design and readability features
- Exploring data sources
- Establishing connections to databases
- Deploying reports to the Internet, intranets and custom applications
- Using formulas in a report
I'm attending this course from work using AnyWare-Learning Tree's web-based remote attendance platform. How will that impact what I learn?
You will participate fully in the course and acquire the same knowledge and skills as your classmates who participate in the classroom. You will have the same course materials, be able to easily communicate back and forth and ask questions of your instructors and peers, and you will control an in-classroom workstation dedicated entirely to you. Your instructor will be able to see exactly what you're doing and can interactively offer concrete help.
What can I do with the reports I create?
This course provides the knowledge and skills to deploy your report statically or dynamically in your environment. You learn how to deploy a reports statically to a Web server and export the report to various formats such as PDF, Word and Excel. You also learn the framework necessary to embed a Crystal Report into a custom .NET application.
What platform and software are used?
You use Windows 7 at your workstation. However, the course does not feature any specific operating system. The techniques learned in the course are applicable to any Windows platform.
Throughout the exercises, you connect to SQL Server, Oracle, Microsoft Access, and blogs to report on data that you retrieve from these data sources.
Will I learn to write formula language?
Yes. Crystal formula language is a core topic in this course. You learn how to write formulas to add custom business logic to your reports. This course covers Crystal Decisions formula syntax and its new Basic syntax.
What data sources can I report from using Crystal Reports?
You can use Crystal Reports with relational databases (e.g., SQL Server, Oracle, Access), text files, Lotus Notes and Domino, blog files, and system administration log files.
Does this course cover other Business Object (formerly Crystal Decisions) software products?
Yes, this course reviews the Crystal Reports Server (formally known as Crystal Enterprise) as a way of deploying reports.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
If you would like to add reports to custom applications, you may be interested in Course 502, Programming with .NET Introduction.
If you would like to learn more about databases, you may be interested in these courses:
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
For AnyWare Learning Centers, Click Here »
You are provided with a dual screen computer and high-speed Internet – all set up and ready to go.
Attend Live from Home, Work or AnyWare Center
Course Attendance Method
Attend Live In-Class
- Feb 17 - 20
- Apr 28 - May 1
- May 19 - 22
- Jun 16 - 19
- Jun 23 - 26
- Jul 21 - 24
- Aug 4 - 7
- Aug 11 - 14
- Aug 25 - 28
- Sep 22 - 25
- Oct 13 - 16
- Nov 10 - 13
- Dec 8 - 11
- Jan 26 - 29
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Tuition & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enroll in Your Learning Tree Course with Peace of Mind
- The tuition for your course is NOT DUE until a month after you attend - this may facilitate receiving Tuition Reimbursement from your organization.
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Canceling your course at ANY time.
- Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed ... or you pay no tuition.
FREE Attendee Benefits!
Learn more about these and other FREE Benefits, Click Here or Call 1-888-843-8733
You can bring this course on-site to your organization
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"The hands-on experience in the Crystal Reports class significantly increased my productivity in working with the product. I am no longer clicking and hunting -- it's like a light bulb went on!"
– F. Tucker
American Society of Appraisers
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimized for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 1-888-843-8733.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
- IT & Management Training
IT Course Topics
- Agile with Scrum (19 Courses)
- Apple Programming & Enterprise Integration Training (3 courses)
- Big Data (7 Courses)
- Business Intelligence (15 Courses)
- Cloud Computing (6 Courses)
- Cyber Security (15 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (13 Courses)
- Java, Perl and Python Programming (10 Courses)
- Linux and UNIX (9 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (10 Courses)
- Mobile App Development and Apple Programming (6 Courses)
- .NET/Visual Studio (16 Courses)
- Networking and Virtualization (10 Courses)
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (22 Courses)
- SharePoint (14 courses)
- Software Development (19 Courses)
- SQL Server (22 Courses)
- Web Development and XML (12 Courses)
- Windows Systems (20 Courses)
Management Course Topics
- Business Analysis (10 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (13 Courses)
- Leadership and Professional Development (18 Courses)
- Project Management (22 Courses)
- Learning Tree Certification Programs
- Industry Certifications
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certification
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- PRINCE2® Certification
- CompTIA Certification
- EC-Council CEH Certification
- College Credit
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
North American Education & AnyWare Centers
- Atlanta, GA (3 locations)
- Boston, MA (2 locations)
- Charlotte, NC (2 locations)
- Chicago, IL (2 locations)
- Connecticut (1 location)
- Dallas, TX (1 location)
- Jacksonville, FL (1 location)
- Los Angeles, CA (1 location)
- Northern New Jersey (5 locations)
- New York, NY (2 locations)
- Orlando, FL (1 locations)
- Philadelphia, PA (2 locations)
- Richmond, VA (2 locations)
- Tidewater, VA (1 location)
- Greater Washington / Baltimore Area (12 locations)
- Ottawa Area (3 locations)
- Toronto Area (3 locations)
- United Kingdom (8 locations)
- France (10 locations)
- Sweden (2 locations)
- Japan (1 location)
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Center using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree